Your Proactive Flat Roofing Estimate
Dear [First Name]
As promised this is your flat roofing estimate, you'll find listed below a brief description of your flat roofing requirements and an estimated likely investment based on the information you’ve just provided.
As I’m sure you can appreciate this is NOT an exact science and with any flat roof there are always aspects of the work that only a “trained” eye can spot due to the nature of the work (especially if this is for refurbishing an existing roof!) Also for simplicity the descriptions of what’s included is based on a “typical” refurbishment installation so please appreciate that your actual job may differ slightly in nature from what you have here.
Watch The Video To Discover How Your Roof Can Be Transformed
If you've not already done so we would encourage you to invest some time to watch this case study video that takes you through step by step how the Vanguard systems and Proactive Flat Roofing work together to solve roofing problems.
We have based your estimate on the following criteria:
Summary of Your Flat Roofing Estimate
- Roof type [L Shaped, Detached, Balcony, Lean to, Parapet] (show picture?)
- Approx size [show dimension and calculation for m2 or ft2)
- Desired lifespan for roof [input their data]
- New structural deck [indicate if chosen as an option]
- Warm roof upgrade [indicate if chosen as an option]
- Roofing system [this needs to default to Vanguard Single Ply]
- Green roof upgrade [indicate if chosen as an option]
Structural Subdeck Replacement
If your roof was built between 1970 and 1986 it is likely the sub-deck was constructed using cheap interior grade chipboard.
After this time it was made illegal to use and Builders were forced to use either exterior grade ply or more recently 18mm OSB-3 (Oriented Strand Board Data Sheet) which is an environmentally friendly, load bearing timber board designed for roofing.
Your estimate includes for the following;
- Remove your existing roof covering and sub-deck, check the existing joist structure and make good where required.
- Dispose of all the waste materials and cart off site or into a skip.
- Supply and install a new 18 mm OSB 3 sub-deck screwed to the existing joists with manufacturer's recommended fixing number and type.
This means you can be confident in complete peace of mind with your roof’s structural integrity for years to come.
Warm Roof (Insulation) Upgrade
Over the years as our energy costs have risen and the (sometime controversial) regulations and understanding around how to make our homes warmer, keeping the costs down and of course protecting the environment have improved.
Since 2006 we have had the “Conservation of Heat and Power” regulations in place, meaning that where possible you have to improve the energy efficiency of your roof.
The most efficient way to do this is by installing solid, lightweight insulation board (called PIR) on top of your roof.
This acts like a “duvet” and unlike traditional “cold” roofs means there is no need to have outside air circulating between the joists. (explainer diagram here)
Your estimate includes for the following;
- Preparing the surface prior to fitting the insulation system.
- Supply and installation of the correct* type of Vapour Control Layer (VCL) based on the regulations and existing surface.
- Supply 120mm thick, solid PIR insulation which will give you a thermal efficiency in excess of the regulations required. (see more about the system here)
- Installed and fixed using thermally efficient tube fixings or bonded (if the sub-deck is concrete) to minimise cold bridging as per manufacturer's recommendations and any wind uplift calculations.
This means the room below will stay at a more constant temperature during the year, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, so more comfortable and cost effective living.
The Vanguard PvC Single Ply Waterproofing System
The waterproofing element of your roof can sometime be the most confusing part of the decision making process because there is so much conflicting information out there. In truth there is NO perfect solution and in many cases different types of systems work best based on the type of roofing application required.
The reason we recommend Vanguard PVC Single Ply is because of its adaptability in pretty much every domestic or commercial flat roofing application. Whether you have a simple flat roof extension or a more complex roof terrace or balcony, over the last 25 years roofing experience we have not yet discovered a better all round solution than PVC single ply systems. (click here for the 12 reasons we use it)
- Dimensionally Stable, to Cope with Cyclical Building Movement
- High Tensile Strength - High Resistance to Impact and Puncture
- Split-Resistant Metal Perimeter and Up-stand Flashing Details
- Double-Welded Fusion Joins Applied Safely - No Toxins or Naked Flames
- Vapour Permeable - Allowing Trapped Building Moisture Out
- Ponding and Standing Water Cause NO Adverse Effects
- Solar and UV Reflective Coating (No Unsightly Chippings or Moss)
- Thermally Efficient Fixing to Reduce “Cold Bridging” in Warm Roofs
- Strong enough to build on - Enjoy the Rooftop Experience
- Long Life - with a Low “Whole Life” Cost
- Low Carbon Footprint - the Membrane is Fully Recyclable
- . Virtually Maintenance Free - No More Weekends up a Ladder!
It is important to realise there is usually a trade-off between cost and longevity. Vanguard has a life expectancy of 30-40 years with complete insurance-backed guarantees of up to 20 years that include the system and workmanship.
Your Free estimate includes for the following;
- Supply of Vanguard Flat Roof Waterproofing System including a separation layer and membrane as required.
- Installation of the Vanguard Flat Roof Waterproofing system using thermally efficient tube fixings or bonded directly to the substrate with the membrane fusion-welded to create one complete leak-proof covering.
- Split resistant metal perimeter and up-stand details to any edges or where your roof meets a wall.
- 20 year manufacturers warranty on the system.
This means you can have complete peace of mind that NO water will seep into your property unseen and cause damage when you least expect it.
Green Roof Upgrade
Adding a green roof needs to be done with care and in particular you need to pay close attention to the additional weight loading on your roof, as well as making sure you get the right advice on the design and type of green roof system to use.
We typically use a sedum blanket or tray system grown in the UK using well established and hardy plants designed to thrive in the UK weather.
You will also need to allow for a pebble border up that acts as a fire break wherever your green roof abuts a wall and in some cases this can be up to 500 mm if there is an open window in that wall as well. It is normal to have all non-wall facing borders to have a 100 mm wide border.
Other considerations that may affect the pricing is moving the green roofing components from ground level to the roof. These are NOT light items and ideally require some kind of mechanical lifting system to avoid physical injury, please note this is NOT included in your pricing.
Your estimate includes for the following;
- Design of the green roof layout.
- Preparation of the surface before installation to include geotextile fleece protection layer.
- Supply of self contained *lightweight established pre-grown sedum trays (490mm X 460mm).
- Supply of 40 mm river washed round pebbles.
- Supply of 100 mm high aluminium edge guard where required.
- Installation of the complete system by our trained Teams.
Total Net Estimated Investment
Total Estimated Investment Including VAT
As we said at the beginning, this estimate is designed to give you a ballpark idea of what likely investment you are going to make if you’re after a “premium” solution. We appreciate you will always be able to find cheaper alternatives if you want to and to be honest with you if you’re looking for the cheapest solution it's very unlikely that we are going to be the right company for you!
As one of our favourite 18th Century thought-leaders John Ruskin put it:
“It's unwise to pay too much……..
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”
- John Ruskin
So if any of this resonates with you and you would like to take the next step all you need to do is take one of the following actions:
Call us Now on 01784 730640 and book your free roof survey.
Whatever you decide to do we both wish you well with your flat roofing project and appreciate you taking the time to use our estimating system and look forward to helping you solve your flat roofing issues forever.
Listen to How We Helped These Customers